Saturday, November 12, 2011

Learning Vocabulary

Learning vocabulary is one of the most important things language learners do.  There are many ways to learn vocabulary including using translations, using monolingual or learner dictionaries, and using bilingual dictionaries.  Sometimes using the context to guess the meaning of a new word is helpful and sometimes it is not.  Some people like getting lists of words to memorize; others like finding their own words and creating lists of words in notebooks.  Flashcards can also be helpful for learning new words.  I remember when I was learning Spanish and living in Argentina.  I used to carry a little notebook in by bag and when I heard a word I didn't know I word write it down in my notebook.  I put each letter of the alphabet on a separate page in my notebook.  At night I would pull out my bilingual dictionary or talk to my companion and figure out an English translation for the word.  This helped me learn more words in Spanish.

How do you learn vocabulary in English?  What strategies or tools do you find most effective?

No comments:

Post a Comment